As good as it was to get the potatoes planted I’d like to get more crops going before too long. So for some quick results I decided to look at the raised beds. I’ll leave the one containing the strawberries for now and focus on the other three.
Two were relatively easy to clear this morning. The dandelions could be pulled out by the root as the compost is quite light. I think my predecessor added some garden centre bags of compost to at least two of the beds. One of these two had beans in them last year and there were the remains of a few plants and beans that were easy to clear. The third raised bed is a bit more tricky. It is thick with dandelions and hasn’t had compost added, so the soil is mostly heavy clay. I think I’ll come back to this one and leave it covered with a tarpaulin for now.
I’ve bought a variety of packets of seeds: carrots, peas, sweet corn, and parsnips. In the raised bed nearest to the blackberry bush I sowed sweetcorn directly into the bed. I planted them in a grid pattern with one or two seeds every nine inches. Again, being pushed for time it would be better to plant seedlings. I’ll grow some seedlings at home as a backup. In the former bean bed I planted three rows of peas. I made three shallow trenches and planted the peas in a zig zag along each trench.
Whilst I was clearing the bed a robin kept coming very close looking for food. It seemed very tame and was happy to keep coming back.