It’s the Bank Holiday weekend and rain was forecast. However I was still able to get a fair bit of sorting done yesterday morning and this afternoon. I’d visited the local DIY store yesterday to buy a few things and check out their gardening supplies. I picked up a few rolls of weed suppressing membrane for the paths.
I removed the plastic compost bin and found a few slow worms hiding in the depths. The bin was in the wrong position, so I moved the entire pile – slow worms included – to where I plan to build a series of compost bins. I cleared a lot of surface growth as well: last year’s brassicas, remains of peas and onions and hoed away a lot of dandelions. I also shifted most of the paving slabs and relaid them as a central path running down the middle of the plot to the shed. This has had the effect of dividing the plot in two and I can now make decisions about each bed.
I also met one of the neighbours yesterday. She kindly gave me some excess seed potatoes that I will need to get in the ground soon. I can’t remember the variety name, it was either Anya or Arran. When I see the neighbour again I’ll ask. Planting potatoes is a good way to get into a new plot. It necessitates digging over quite a large area, and further digging when you lift them later in the season.
I’ll aim to do some digging during the week. But today I covered large sections of the plot with tarpaulin and the weed suppressing membrane.