The first job is to get the dandelions under control before they go to seed and multiply the problem. I don’t really want to use weed killer if at all possible as I would like to get some crops planted this season. That said, I may need to use weed killer on part of the plot as some bits are really dense with perennial weeds.
Before I resort to the chemicals I will cover as much as I can with tarpaulin while I assess which sections of the plot will be good for planting this year, and which I am happy to leave until later in the year. I’ve found a couple of tarpaulins behind the shed and I have some from home that I can use. I decided to use the bricks that marked out one of the beds to weigh down the corners of the tarpaulins. It is unlikely that I will keep that bed as is.
I also started to move some of the paving slabs. I’ve mentally sketched out a possible design for the plot for next year. I’m thinking about having a central path and then extending a couple of the raised beds, with some temporary paths marking out a couple of other beds. I’ll try to sketch a plan that I can post online some time. I was also visited by a local cat. Someone to chat to until I meet the neighbours. I haven’t seen the owners of the adjacent plots yet, but the site warden told me they were friendly.